December 26, 2013

I’ll Never be Your First Love: Mirrored Refrain

In my darkest hours,
You hold me above,
And I know this,
I’ll never be your first love.

I remember you,
Like a tender kiss,
I’ll never be your first love,
And I know this.
With your every word,
My hopes fly like a dove,
And I know this,
I’ll never be your first love.

May you rise high and flourish,
Your success will be my peace,
I’ll never be your first love,
And I know this.
The Mirrored Refrain: Rhymes verse form constructed by Stephanie Repnyek. The poem is formed by three or more quatrains where two lines within the quatrain are the "mirrored refrain" or alternating refrain. The rhyme scheme is as follows: xaBA, xbAB, xaBA, xbAB, etc..  x represents the only lines that do not rhyme within the poem. A and B represent the refrain. 

14 comments:

  1. What a challenging form, the refraining lines tell their own story ~ Sadly some things are not ours to hold and keep ~ Happy Holidays ~

    ReplyDelete
  2. a bitter sweet feel to this....the knowing you will never be the first love...but being willing to let them succeed...the letting go is not easy....

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful form! such a sense of longing and loss!

    ReplyDelete
  4. as Brian noted, bittersweet ~

    ReplyDelete
  5. "I’ll never be your first love,
    And I know this."

    The repetition carries the poem tenderly and grows inside us in each verse.


    Good poem!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice use of the form. A quiet and melancholy reflection. Excellent work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent use of form. A very focused and melancholy reflection, rendered with generosity of spirit. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If not a first love… perhaps the love that lives on beyond the first is better?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really interesting composition. Lovely poem too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It tugs at the feelings of some frustrations. Love is forever a second happening. Good write Vandana!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sometimes it is better to be the last love than the first love!

    ReplyDelete
  12. …first loves… we all have them. Is it really that important? I'd rather be the current and future love! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great form for the topic and what a painful realization to have to make. Well done.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping in your precious pearls.......